Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Easy Peasy Skirt Tutorial

Great news!  I am back from my trip and we had a great time visiting the Navajo Nation.  My sister and her family live there so we stayed with them for a few days.  We even had an authentic Navajo Taco Easter dinner!  Good times! 

Now that I have done the laundry, put away suitcases, cleaned out the van (OK, my sweet husband did the van), and finished my book, I am reaedy to add the turial for the skirts.  These are soooo easy and if I had a girl who would wear skirts to school, I could have her 10 skirts in an hour, I bet!

So, here is the finished product. 

I used the amazing fabric from Pat Bravo called Coquette.  You can buy a bundle of this for a great deal at my Etsy shop, Yards and Yards


The things about this fabric is that it feels amazing!  I have worked with a lot of fabric over the years and this is by far, the best cotton for clothing that I have ever felt.  I LOVE THIS STUFF!

So here we go.

I apologize in advance for my snazzy artwork.

1.  Gather your supplies:
Sewing machine
Fabric (about 1/2 yard of A and 1/4 yard B for a skirt to go up to 6T)
Elastic (about 18")
Thread
Scissors (seriously, did I need to type that?)

2.  Cut your fabric.
Note: I made this skirt my my 4, almost 5-year old.  Adjust the measurments as needed.
Fabric A (main fabric of skirt):  42" x 14"
Fabric B (bottom contrasting fabric): 42" x 6"

3.  Take fabric A and fold about 3/4" across the bottom and iron.  You should fold it so wrong sides are together.  NOTE:  I shaded to show the patterned side of the fabric. 

  4.  Take fabric B.  Fold it in half, wrong sides together and iron.


 5.  Sew A to B.  Place A right side down on your table.  Put fabric B on top lining up the raw edges with the folded edge of fabric A.  They should over lap about an inch.  Pin.  Sew two lines across the fabric as shown.  Mine are about 1/4" and 1/2" from where the fabrics meet.


6.Fold your skirt, right sides together and sew up the side, as shown.
 7.  Sew a casing along the top of the skirt.  Fold the top of the skirt down about 1/2 " and iron.  Then fold it down again about 1/4" wider than your elastic.  My elastic was 1/2" so I fold it down about 3/4".  Iron again.  Then sew around the entire opening leaving a 2" opening to put your elsatic through.

8.  Attach your elastic to a safety pin (couldn't you tell from my drawing?) and thread it through the hole.  Carefully work the elastic through the hole, holding the end of the elastic in your mouth... or at least, that's how I do it.
 9.  Pin and sew the two ends of the elastic together. I go back and forth about 10 times since this really has to hold up well.

10.  Sew the 2" opening closed.  You are done! Enjoy!

PS.  I linked to some SUPER SEWING parties!

*All Things Heart and Home  *  It's Sew For You  *  Not Just a Housewife  *  Creative Itch  *  Quiltstory Ladybug Blessings  *  Sew Much Ado  *  Trendy Treehouse  *  Sew Chatty * Women Who Do It AllSugar and Dots * Li'l Luna * Tea Rose Home * Polka Dots on Parade * Somewhat SimpleFireflies and Jellybeans  *  Blue Cricket Design  *  733 blog  *  House of Hepworth's  * Paisley Passions  *  A Glimpse Inside  *  Fingerprints On the Fridge  *  Fun To Craft  *  At The Picket Fence  *  Stuff and Nonsense  *  Inspiring Creations * Just a GirlSassy Sites504 Main  *  WhipperBerry

21 comments:

Sharon said...

Very pretty! I just love the colors you used!

Jessica said...

What a beautiful skirt! I really like the fabrics you choose. They go so well together.

justenoughstyle.blogspot.com

Leah said...

Very cute skirt! I love the fabric. (Saw it @ the sugar & dots link party.)

Little Sprinkles Of Fun said...

So cute! I love the fabric combinations!

Rosa B. said...

Very cute! I love the pattern combo!!
I'll be saving a link to this tutorial so I can try it soon! Thanks for sharing!

Thendral said...

very cute. i love the colors you have used

Unknown said...

great fabrics and i love how it turned out. (fabulous art :)

{northern cottage} said...

very pretty!

Allison {A Glimpse Inside} said...

So cute! Love the fabrics! Thanks for linking up to my Catch a Glimpse party. I'll be featuring this! :)

Celeste said...

Sewing scares me, but this is something I could actually try!

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

I don't sew but I might have to try this! Thanks for the snazzy artwork lol!

Amanda said...

Adorable skirt and a great tutorial! Thanks! Your fabrics are gorgeous. I must check out that Etsy shop of yours!
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda

Katy @ Lolly Linens said...

I { L O V E } this skirt! I haven't mastered sewing clothes yet. Thank you for the tutorial.

Lindsey said...

So cute! Love how it turned out.

An Oasis in the Desert said...

This is just a darling skirt. I bet this could be adapted to an adult-size, don't ya think?
CAS

Anna said...

I definitely think this could go to an adult size. I'm guessing you could just increase the fabric sizes. The one I made was 42" x 14". For me, it would be more like 65" x 22". I ought to try...

Misty @Creative Itch said...

Darling skirt!! I LOVE the fabric!!

Thanks for linking @'Sew Cute Tuesday'!

At The Picket Fence said...

So adorable and what a great "easy peasy" tutorial! :-) Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Inspiration Friday this week!
Vanessa

Katie said...

LOVE this skirt! I make skirts similar to this... often! I'd love if you linked up to Sew Woodsy!

Taleah said...

Thanks for the great tutorial! I love it!

Taylor Amaio Fletcher said...

Loved this skirt so much I ran out and bought fabric to try it same day (today!). Wrote about it on my blog and mentioned you and your blog. Thank you!
http://parentingproject.blog.com/2012/02/28/new-sewing-machine/