Monday, September 12, 2011

Remembering 9/11

Yesterday marked the 10-Year Anniversary of September 11.  On that day 10 years ago, my 1st child was about 6 months old.  I remember the feelings I felt as it finally dawned on us all that these were deliberate attacks.  I knelt on the ground in front of the TV with my little son in my arms, and I just cried.  Why would someone do this?  And how could I have brought a little one into this scary world?

Yesterday in church we sang "America the Beautiful."  The third verse begins, "O beautiful for heroes proved, in liberating strife.  Who more than self their country loved and mercy more than life."  I know that on that day 10 years ago, I learned what a hero really looked like.  It was a good opportunity for me and my family to talk about what happened 10 years ago and how the world stood still, then America stood together, and then we went to work.  I wish that sense of pride and unity in our country lasted longer!

Anyhow, I just wanted to proclaim that I remember.  And my children will know.  And I am so thankful for our country and those who defend us and who rise up in times of need with a bravery they didn't know they had.  Thanks you!

This is the picture I will always remember, and I'm sure so many of you will as well.

No comments: