Tuesday, June 1, 2010

No Sew: Fabric Covered Storage Boxes



So, I finished a fun little project I wanted to share. Step One: I bought these really not so cute boxes on Christmas clearance in December. They are really heavy weight and super nice. Apparently they are reusable gift boxes, but I didn't love the pattern so much as I did the price.

Also, a little disclaimer here-- this takes some time, but it's truly easy. If you can wrap a gift, you can make these boxes.

I have been wanting some fancy storage boxes for the bathroom closet... enter lovely reindeer boxes.

Step Two: I found some beautiful fabric at JoAnn fabrics. I think I needed about 3/4 of a yard for each box. I wish I could remember who designed these fabrics. If you know, pass it along so I can give them credit for this lovely fabric.

Step Three: Wrap them. For my dimensions, it was more "fabric efficient" to wrap all the way around the long sides, bottom and inside bottom with one piece. Then I used a separate piece to do the short sides and 2 more pieces to do the inside sides. Sorry about all the "sides".

I piled on the decoupage (LOVE that stuff!) and wrapped away. I didn't do the tops because I wanted easier access to the contents of the box.

Also, I simply double folded on the corners so I would have that finished look. So easy when you use decoupage in the quantity I did.

Step 4: Embellish!! I glued some ribbon and added little label holders to the fronts of the boxes.

Step 5: Organize away! I have one for First Aid, one for Toilet Paper, one for Rags, one for Hygiene (you know, extra toothpaste and shampoo), and one for Soaps (yep, I stocked up on soap at the Bath and Bodyworks holiday sale.)

And there you have it. Hindsight, I would have used only one fabric for all of them. But they were all so pretty and I couldn't pick just one.

So, go ahead and enjoy! I hope you can find some ugly boxes to cover as well. How about covering them in this:
Josephine Kimberling

Now that would make a room! You can see more of this amazing fabric right here.

PS. And no, I'm not getting paid for advertising any of this. I will only ever pass along what I love and what is true to my dream of bringing the love of fabric to a level where the everyday people can enjoy it as much as you serious crafters.

PPS. Linking up to a few amazing inspiration parties.


Show and Tell Green  http://www.thethriftyhome.com




2 comments:

Staci J said...

Those turned out great!!! Great idea for decor!
visiting from someday crafts linky party
justsewsassy.com

The Autocrat: Haley said...

Those look fabulous!! I love the Christmas clearance aisle!! Especially for projects like this! You did a great job!